Salary from £6.70 per hour £7.20 for workers aged 25 or over.
Main duties would include:
• dealing with bookings by phone, e-mail, letter, fax or face-to-face
• completing procedures when guests arrive and leave
• choosing rooms and handing out keys
• preparing bills and taking payments
• taking and passing on messages to guests
• dealing with special requests from guests (like booking theatre tickets or storing valuable items)
• answering questions about what the hotel offers and the surrounding area
• dealing with complaints or problems.
In most hotels, you would use a computerised system to book rooms and to keep details of bookings and available rooms up to date. You would work as part of a team and you may be responsible for one area such as managing telephone reservations or guest departures (also known as checkouts).
In small hotels, your duties may include other tasks such as showing guests to their rooms and serving drinks in the bar.